Saturday, September 6, 2008

Tips from Articles

I've noticed a plethora of articles on green living in magazines lately. While flipping through the August issue of Self and the September issue of Women's Health, I picked up some great tips that I am going to adopt and share with you!

From Self: "The Best Ways to Love the Planet"
-buy locally
-save plastic bottle tops (if not accepted at your recycling center) and bring to any Aveda store - the company recycles them into shampoo caps.
-weed through your junk mail (snail mail variety, not email) and cancel any unwanted catalogs.
check out CatalogChoice.org.
-instead of throwing away electronics, visit MyGreenElectronics.org to find a recycler.

From Women's Health: "Healthier Home, Healthier You"
-replace burnt-out light bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. This swap will lower
your electricity bill, and save you time and money (CFLs last a lot longer than regular bulbs).
-wash your clothes in cold water instead of hot (hot water isn't necessary to thoroughly clean
clothes, plus cold water costs less to use!)

I'm currently enjoying my first issue of Positively Green - a magazine I might just have to subscribe to given all of the fantastic tips! Once I've finished reading through this issue, I'll post my favorite tidbits.

No comments: