Sunday, August 10, 2008

Welcome

Hello blogworld! As this is my first post, I ought to commence with a brief introduction. My name is Lauren, and though I hail from PA and MA, I currently live in Houston. Having been raised by environmentally-conscious parents in fairly environmentally-conscious areas, I have always been cognizant of the importance of keeping our planet clean. However, I have recently become interested in leading a more "green" life by using earth-friendly products on a day-to-day basis. I invite you to join me in my exploration and reviews of such products, and to give me feedback as well; I'm sure we can all learn something from each other!

1 comment:

Marty F. Webb said...

Lauren, we WELCOME your love of and care for the environment at The Monarch School! It's so important that we teach our kids to be good stewards by modeling it ourselves.

I've been a fan of Burt's products for years but haven't tried the insect sting stick; have been using "After Bite" which basically is just ammonia. Can't wait to try the Burt's.\

Love Seventh Generation products. Their dishwasher product (the little wrapped one, not the powder) does a great job. Laundry detergent too.

Re. smashing aluminum cans: I've seen recommendations that we smash both cans and plastic bottles and containers for regular recycling too, to reduce the recycling "bulk".

Heard the other day that San Francisco (which recycles 600 tons per year, compared to Houston's 17 tons) is considering a recycling fine for the first time, for infractions like including pizza boxes with paper recycling. Bring it on!

Marty Webb